Monday, March 21, 2011

Vikings & Valkyries

Mazes and Minotaurs is one of those games that I've always wanted to play, but have never gotten around to. Consequently, I always like to check out if there is another MINOTAUR Quarterly once every six months, or year, or so.

When I popped back last time, just a few days ago, I found something that really caught my eye: Vikings & Valkyries. According to the forward, "Vikings & Valkyries is the first instalment of the new Worlds of Adventure line of supplements for the Mazes & Minotaurs role-playing game – a line which, as its name implies, takes the Mazes & Minotaurs system away from its classic setting inspired by mythic Greece and sword-and-sandal movies to other legendary universes, each with its own deities, monsters and special rules."

Now, I doubt that there is ever going to another Worlds of Adventure supplement, but I'm liking what I see from Vikings & Valkyries. I've always wanted to run a Viking inspired D&D campaign, and this just adds another stone to the pile. Who knows with spring break here, I might just have to write a string of viking related posts like I did with Chainmail a week or so ago.

Among my favorite additions are the Maiming Opponents (p. 12, Viking Games (p. 15-16), and Wergild (p. 17) sections. Who wouldn't want to add pierced eyes and braid cutting into their game after all?

Due to a few major qualms with Mazes and Minotaurs (mostly involving ability scores), I doubt I'll ever get around to playing either game straight up, but that doesn't mean these excellent sources aren't worth mining for gems; there sure are plenty to be found. So if you haven't done so already, I highly recommend checking out Vikings & Valkyries.

No comments:

Post a Comment